One of the most beautiful meadow church consecrations in Franconia takes place here every year at the end of September
The Feuchtwanger Mooswiesen-Messe has been one of the traditional autumn folk festivals in southern Germany for centuries. Stalls, cheap Jakob, agricultural machinery show, amusement park, herring roast, beer and wine tent and much more are part of Franconia's most beautiful Wiesenkirchweih.
The highlights are the big pageant on Sunday afternoon, the closing fireworks on Tuesday evening and the riflemen's parade with the cobblestone waltz on Saturday.
Feuchtwangen is a town in the central Franconian district of Ansbach. Feuchtwangen is one of 13 so-called efficient district municipalities in Bavaria.
The city of Feuchtwangen is located in the valley of the Sulzach, the extensive urban area also includes parts of the Wörnitz valley.
Most famous is the market place, which the art historian Georg Dehio called the "Festival Hall of Franconia" in his standard work on art history.
The iron tubular fountain from 1727 on the market square bears a statue of Minerva as the protector of crafts and trades. The coats of arms of the margrave of Ansbach, the Württemberg coat of arms as a sign of the ironworks in Königsbronn and the two town coats of arms, the imperial eagle and the spruce, are depicted on individual fields.
The former collegiate church, with Romanesque remains and later extensions, stands on the site of the former monastery church of the Benedictines or Augustinian Canons with an altar from the workshop of Michael Wolgemut.
Preserved are only parts of the town wall ring from the time around 1400 with remains of defense towers, mainly in places where houses were built against the inner side of the town wall.
In the small gallery in the forestry garden there are changing exhibitions of numerous recreational artists.
The legend of the foundation of the town by Charlemagne is depicted on the Taubenbrünnlein: Emperor Charlemagne, d. 814, hunted in this area a few years before his death. He got lost in the forest and was tormented by a violent thirst. He saw a dove fly up and when he reached the place he discovered a spring of water. Reinvigorated, his hunting party soon found him and out of gratitude to God he had a church and a monastery built near the spring. Thus he became the founder of the town of Feuchtwangen.
Learn more about the Feuchtwanger Mooswiese in Feuchtwangen